Review Group on Intelligence and Communications Technologies Conducts Meetings with Privacy and Civil Liberties Experts and Information Technology Industry Experts
September 9, 2013
Today, members of the Review Group on Intelligence and CommunicationsTechnologies met with more than a dozen privacy and civil liberties groups and experts to hear comments about how the review group should carry out its tasks. Participants discussed recommendations about how to respect the Intelligence Community’s commitment to privacy and civil liberties and maintain the public trust.
In a separate meeting, the review group today met with information technology companies and experts. Participants discussed the foreign policy implications, including economic implications, of U.S. policy concerning intelligence and communications technology.
The meetings today are part of the Review Group’s overall efforts to receive comments from the public on all matters that the President has asked it to examine. Comments can be provided via firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline for public submissions is October 4, 2013. Further information on public comments is available via IC on the Record.
On August 12, 2013 President Obama directed the establishment of the review group. While it is administratively housed at the Office of the Director of National Intelligence (ODNI), it is conducting an independent review and will report directly to the President.
The review group’s task is to advise the President “on how, in light of advancements in technology, the United States can employ its technical collection capabilities in a way that optimally protects our national security and advances our foreign policy while respecting our commitment to privacy and civil liberties, recognizing our need to maintain the public trust, and reducing the risk of unauthorized disclosure.”
22 Notes/ Hide
- endtheterrorwar likes this
- clusterducked likes this
- zeren reblogged this from priceofliberty
- priceofliberty reblogged this from anknara
- anknara reblogged this from rokaccia
- anknara likes this
- telosmonos likes this
- latbb reblogged this from icontherecord
- noseguard4ever1 likes this
- vitelart likes this
- rents4usaf reblogged this from priceofliberty
- rents4usaf likes this
- cwj likes this
- theindieorganicshow likes this
- marroncito reblogged this from priceofliberty
- teahorsestudio reblogged this from icontherecord
- teahorsestudio likes this
- rokaccia likes this
- pizzahutofficial likes this
- priceofliberty likes this
- rokaccia reblogged this from icontherecord and added:
- icontherecord posted this